District 1 is the central urban district of HCM City, the busiest district in the city with the highest living standards. It is considered the financial centre of Saigon and Vietnam.
- International Banks: HSBC, ANZ, Standard Chartered, Citi, JPMorgan Chase
- Office Building: Saigon Times Square, Capital Place, Melinh Point Tower.
- Healthcare: Victoria International Healthcare, FV Saigon clinic, Westcoast International Dental clinic
- Shopping: Vincom, Parkson, Diamond Plaza, Bitexco, Ben Thanh market, Saigon Square.
- Restaurant: Noir, Hum vegetarian, Portfolio Italian.
- Bar: Saigon Saigon Rooftop, Chill Sky, Glow.
All of the consulates, foreign embassy offices or governmental offices from other countries choose to locate here. Visitors can reach these offices within walking distances or 5 to 10 minutes drive if they would like to do their visas, passports or temporary immigration documents.
Because District 1 is the city's central district, The Saigon Notre-Dame Basilica, the Saigon Opera House, the Central Post Office, the City Hall, Phạm Ngũ Lão Street, the former Republic of Vietnam President's Reunification Palace, Rex Hotel are some of the most famous historical tourism sights in District 1.
There concentrate lots of recreational activities, such as shopping malls, movie theaters, bars, restaurants, etc. That is the reason why District 1 is also regarded as a “sleepless district” where a great deal of entertainment keeps you awake all night. District 1 also known as the best spot for shopping in Vietnam with a high concentration of shopping centres and luxury brands.
Foreigners from all over the world can be found here - so the chance of making a new expat friends are likely to be higher than other districts. Pham Ngu Lao street is touted as a Western road where there are a lot of Western-styled restaurants, coffee shops, bars and other services for foreigners. Thanks to the high density of foreigners, there are more citizens in District 1 who can communicate in English than in other districts.